UNITED NATIONS, July 10 (InnerCityPro.com) -- After more than three hours meeting on South Sudan, the UN Security Council's president for July, Japan's Koro Bessho, emerged to the stakeout (statement below). Inner City Press asked him if an arms embargo had been discussed -- no -- and which regional countries are being looked to for the additional troops US Samantha Power said will be requested. Bessho said he would not "name names." And one issue wil be if the UN's Herve Ladsous will try to use Burundi troops, as he does in Central African Republic despite pending rape charges. We'lll have more on this. Here's the UNSC Press Statement:
The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the escalation of fighting in Juba, South Sudan that started on July 7. The members of the Security Council expressed particular shock and outrage at the attacks on UN compounds and protection of civilians sites in Juba. The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms all attacks and provocations against civilians and the United Nations. They emphasized the need for United Nations protection of civilians sites and United Nations personnel to remain secure. They expressed their sympathies and condolences to the families of Chinese and Rwandan peacekeepers who were killed or injured in the attacks.
The members of the Security Council urged an immediate end to the fighting by all concerned and demanded that President Kiir and First Vice President Machar do their utmost to control their respective forces, urgently end the fighting and prevent the spread of violence, and genuinely commit themselves to the full and immediate implementation of the peace agreement, including the permanent ceasefire and redeployment of military forces from Juba.
The members of the Security Council reminded all parties, including government security forces, of the civilian character of the protection of civilian sites in South Sudan. The members of the Security Council stressed that attacks against civilians and UN premises and personnel may constitute war crimes, and they emphasized the importance of transparent investigations into these crimes and that those involved must be held accountable and could be potentially subject to sanctions as authorized under resolution 2206 (2015) for actions that threaten the peace, security or stability of South Sudan.
The members of the Security Council encouraged countries in the region, the African Union Peace and Security Council and the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development, to continue firmly engaging with South Sudanese leaders to address the crisis.
The members of the Security Council expressed their support for the United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS). The members of the Security Council expressed their readiness to consider enhancing UNMISS to better ensure that UNMISS and the international community can prevent and respond to violence in South Sudan. The members of the Security Council encouraged states in the region to prepare to provide additional troops in the event the Council so decides. In the interim, the members of the Security Council stressed the need for UNMISS to make full use of its authority to use all necessary means to protect civilians.
10 July 2016